Install The Moroso 20970 Oil Pan on a Lotus Exige or Elise
It's well known fact Lotus Exige and Elise models suffer from oil starvation on hard cornering encountered during track days and spirited driving. To combat this issue a solution is needed to restrict the free flow of oil in the pan to ensure the oil pickup always has oil available.
Moroso has created an aftermarket pan specifically designed with deep kicked-out sumps for increased capacity (6 qt) and internal baffles to control oil under hard acceleration and cornering. This helps ensure the oil is where it always needs to be, under the oil pickup.
- 3mm & 9mm hex allen wrench
- 1/4" socket wrench, 10mm deep socket, 6" or longer extension
- Permatex Threadlocker blue
- Permatex Ultra Grey gasket maker
- Permatex Thread sealant
- Torque wrench, 10mm deep socket, 6" or longer extension
- 10mm stubby combination wrench (a ratcheting wrench is best)
- Oil drain and storage solution
- Oil filter pliers
- Gasket separator tool
- Brake cleaner or other degreaser
- small ball pein hammer
- Prybar with tapered end or Brake spoon
- razor blade or sharp edged 1" putty knife
Remove stock oil pan
Lift your Exige on jack stands or with a hydraulic lift.
Follow the instructions here to learn how to safely lift your Lotus Exige / Elise.
Remove oil from engine.
1) Place the oil drain pan underneath the oil pan
2) Remove the oil drain plug and drain all oil from the pan. Reinstall the oil drain plug once oil flow has stopped draining.
3) Use a Filter wrench to remove the oil filter. Ensure the gasket does not remain on the sandwich plate. Allow filter to drain into oil drain pan.
4) Empty oil drain pan into a storage solution with lid for transport to your local oil recycling center (most autoparts stores provide this for free)
Remove bolts securing oil pan to engine block.
1) Use a 10mm socket wrench to remove all the bolts and nuts from the OEM pan.
2) Use vice grips or pliers to remove the 4 remaining studs. (this may be easier after completing the following step)
Remove OEM oil pan.
1) Insert the gasket separator tool between the oil pan and engine block. Do this on the front right corner of the oil pan when facing the oil drain plug. This is the only location where Toyota added additional engine casting to allow for prying off the oil pan. Use the ball pein hammer if needed to coerce the separator in.
Do not attempt to use the gasket separator as a prybar to remove the oil pan!
2) Work the separator up and down to create an opening to insert the prybar. Using the extra casting for leverage pry up on the bar (down on the pan) to begin separating it from the engine block. If resistance if encountered in locations use the gasket separator to break loose the gasket.
This is the hardest part of the entire process, don't be surprised if this is time consuming. Whatever you do, don't lose your cool and damage or mar the engine block surface where the pan mates to it. Getting a seal in the future could be an issue.
3) Drain any remaining oil in the pan into the oil storage container.
Prep for installation
1) Use a razor blade or 1" sharp putty knife to remove any left over gasket from the engine block. This surface must be completely clean.
2) Use brake cleaner to wipe the engine block where the oil pan mates to it. Be mindful of oil drips which can run on to the surface from oil draining inside the engine. This step may need repeated immediately before installation of the Moroso oil pan.
3) Use brake cleaner to wipe down the mating surface of the Moroso oil pan.
Install Moroso Pan
Install studs in engine block.
Use a 3mm Hex allen wrench to install the Moroso supplied studs into the engine block. Place Blue thread locker on the studs prior to installation.
Note: The rear of the engine block, to the right of the filter near the coolant hose, is a through hole (A). Ensure the stud is installed to a similar depth as the others.
Optional - Do not install the 4 studs (B,C,D,E) closest to the flywheel. This makes installing the oil pan much simpler and the studs can be installed later.
Install the gasket.
Run a bead of gasket maker on the oil pan about 1/4" thick (6mm) around the entire surface and around each and every hole.
*Review the instructions on the gasket maker as some need to sit prior to installation *
1) Slide the Moroso oil pan onto the engine block. The studs guide the oil pan into the proper location.
2) Hold the pan with one hand and install two nuts on opposite sides to hold the pan in place. Now install the remaining bolts. Hand tighten only!
3) Install the remaining 4 studs with Blue thread locker closest to the flywheel if this was skipped previously. Install the nuts onto the studs
Torque the nuts to the specifications listed in the *Sizes, Torques, Specs * section.
Start in the center (1) and work alternating sides (2-9, A-E) to ensure an equal distribution of force as the pan is tighten down.
Review the instructions on the gasket maker as some need to sit prior to being tightened or torqued
Note: Hole locations (7, 8) do not permit the use of a torque wrench. Use a stubby wrench to tighten the bolts to "snug". With a stubby wrench you can't get much force on it so breaking the bolt shouldn't be an issue unless you Hulk out on it.
Remove and properly install access and oil drain plugs.
1) Remove both access plugs and the drain plug from the Moroso pan
2) Place Thread sealer on both access plugs and install until tight with a 9mm allen wrench. These will not thread all the way in by design, they are NPT plugs.
3) Install and tighten the oil drain plug. If your drain plug has an o-ring ensure it is in place prior to installation.
Now is a great time to install an easy oil drain valve to make future oil changes faster.
Install oil filter
1) Place a small amount of oil on the oil filter gasket to ensure it is lubricated and install until hand tight.
2) Use the Oil filter wrench to turn the filter 1/4 turn past hand tight. This is all it takes to tighten the filter.
Optional - Prime the oil filter with oil prior to installation. Pour oil in the center hole, it should hold around a 1/2 quart.
Consult the gasket maker instructions to determine if a dwell time is required prior to adding engine oil.
1) Add 6 quarts of engine oil once able to do so
2) Start engine and allow to warm up while checking for leaks
3) Check oil level and add oil if needed
Reinstall the access panel and rear diffusor
DISCLAIMER Last updated August 28, 2021
WEBSITE DISCLAIMER The information provided by the Author ("we," "us", or "our") on howtune.com (the "Site") is for general informational purposes only. All information on the Site is provided in good faith, however we make no representation or warranty of any kind, express or implied, regarding the accuracy, adequacy, validity, reliability, availability or completeness of any information on the Site. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHALL WE HAVE ANY LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND INCURRED AS A RESULT OF THE USE OF THE SITE OR RELIANCE ON ANY INFORMATION PROVIDED ON THE SITE. YOUR USE OF THE SITE AND YOUR RELIANCE ON ANY INFORMATION ON THE SITE IS SOLELY AT YOUR OWN RISK.
EXTERNAL LINKS DISCLAIMER The Site may contain (or you may be sent through the Site) links to other websites or content belonging to or originating from third parties or links to websites and features in banners or other advertising. Such external links are not investigated, monitored, or checked for accuracy, adequacy, validity, reliability, availability or completeness by us. WE DO NOT WARRANT, ENDORSE, GUARANTEE, OR ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE ACCURACY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY INFORMATION OFFERED BY THIRD-PARTY WEBSITES LINKED THROUGH THE SITE OR ANY WEBSITE OR FEATURE LINKED IN ANY BANNER OR OTHER ADVERTISING. WE WILL NOT BE A PARTY TO OR IN ANY WAY BE RESPONSBILIE FOR MONITORING ANY TRANSACTION BETWEEN YOU AND THIRD-PARTY PROVIDERS OF PRODUCTS OR SERVICES.
PROFESSIONAL DISCLAIMER The automotive information is provided for general informational and educational purposes only is not a substitute for professional advice. Accordingly, before taking any actions based upon such information, we encourage you to consult with the appropriate professionals. THE USE OF OR RELIANCE OF ANY INFORMATION CONTAINED ON THE SITE IS SOLELY AT YOUR OWN RISK.
AFFILIATES DISACLAIMER The site may contain links to affiliate websites, and we may receive an affiliate commission for any purchase made by you on the affiliate website using such links.
Oil pan bolts 80 inch pounds (9nm) - This applies only to the bolts on the studs. The studs are hand tighten only.