HowTune Community Guidelines
At HowTune, you'll find a passionate and growing community of car enthusiasts. Our goal is to cultivate automotive knowledge and community. We need your help, so here are some guidelines for how to participate.
How to register and customize your profile
The next step is to customize your profile. You set up your profile photo using Gravatar and tell everybody a little about yourself. You can always edit your profile by clicking your own name in the top right corner of the site.
How to post and comment
There are two ways to interact on HowTune. We'll get into the guidelines for what to do and not to do below, but here's the basics on how:
- Post an article: Articles are the bread and butter here. It's the whole reason we exist. Sharing your tips and experience will help others fix and modify their cars. A smarter community is a better community. Just register and hit the "Write" button in the top right corner of the site. Enter a vehicle, subject, and action. Your article will be ready to edit. We use markdown for our editor text by the way.
- Post a comment: Coming Soon. We love comments, and simply by registering you can comment on any article on HowTune.
Articles vs Comments
Although there is no hard and fast rule for when you should make a comment on somebody else's article or when you should make a new article, we do have some pretty clear guidelines. Essentially, if there is already an article about your subject and you are only adding a little detail or tip, it's better to comment than make a new article. We have a very large search box at the top of the forums and we encourage all users to search before you write. Duplicate articles may be frozen, removed, or merged.
HowTune uses a fancy markdown editor for writing articles.
We will be watching out for great content to promote on the site as well as inappropriate content. So keep it clean and productive, all the usual rules about spam, abuse, and decency apply.
The most important thing is to search before you write. Duplicate content makes it harder to find what users want. That doesn't mean that you can't cover the same subject as an existing article, but you will want to make sure that your article has something signifigant to add. Always do a search before starting a new article and if something similar exists, make sure your guide would be different enough to provide value to readers.
Finally, please post accurate vehicle, subject, and action keywords.
Comments allow you to contribute to an existing body of knowledge. If theres already a great article out there, and you have a tip, suggestion, or difference of opinion, commenting on the article is a great way to provide valuable feedback for readers and authors
Don't feed the trolls! They suck and should literally be considered noise. We may delete comments left by trolls, and your replies along with it. So there's no point in carrying on a conversation with them.
You can have content removed and even be banned, heres how:
- Spam: It's bad for you, its bad for us, done.
- Illegal: comments or links about illegal stuff is gone.
- Porn: Uh, yea... that won't fly. Anything that may be considered borderline is not acceptable. We reserve the right to remove any post we deem offensive, so if you think someone might feel the need to hide the window when their kids come in the room, don't post it.
- Attacks: No point to it, quit pulling your sister's hair! We'll ban you for being a scary a-hole.
- Racism, sexism, and other discrimination: I feel like a crazy person having to write this. Just don't.
- Potty Mouth: Swearing or just Nasty: your audience will appreciate cleaner language, believe me.
- Trolling: It's useless, we don't tolerate it. If you're abusing the good communities here at HowTune, we will delete your content.
- Multiple accounts: We don't allow multiple accounts per individual. When found, all be deleted.